International Cooking Show - December 6th, 2021
From Ethan Walter
This is a recording of the International Cooking Show that took place on December 6th, 2021. In this edition of the Cooking Show, Stephanie Okoye made Ofe Akwu (also known as Palm Kernel Stew) with white rice and fried plantains! We have attached the recipe for Stephanie's version of Ofe Akwu below; we hope that you will try making this dish at home!…Read more Less…
- Protein of choice (beef, chicken, fish, etc., or none)
- 1 can Palmnut Cream Concentrate
- 1 packet dried Scent leave (Nchuanwu)
- 2 large red onions
- 3 red Scotch Bonnets
- 5 tbsp. crayfish powder or shrimp powder
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- Salt to taste
- Seasoning cube (e.g. Knorr or Magi) to taste
- Dry powdered Cameroon pepper to spice level of your choice (start with very little)
- Parboiled long grain rice
- Say a quick prayer for your dish to turn out delicious!!!
- Dice one large onion into small pieces. Chop other onion into medium cubes and prep other ingredients (i.e. wash all the items that need to be washed, etc.).
- In a blender, blend the other large onion and scotch bonnet. If not using animal protein, you can add a little more water at this step to make up for loss in stock volume.
- Season protein with some of your chopped onions, salt, seasoning cubes, and Cameroon pepper and boil for about 30 minutes. If no animal protein is being used, skip this step.
- Add onion purée to pot and allow to boil for about 10 minutes. If you skipped the previous step, you can add the listed seasonings here.
- Add palm kernel concentrate and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining chopped onions, powdered crayfish, cumin, and scent leaves, and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. You know the sauce is done when the grease from the extract separates to the top.
- Taste for salt and spice level and adjust as needed.
- Cook rice as directed on package or in a rice cooker.
- Serve and enjoy!!!