International Cooking Show - February 21st, 2022
From Ethan Walter
Alejandra’s Raw Shrimp in Aguachile Recipe
Shrimp Curing Process
1. Butterfly and devein one pound of raw, wild-caught shrimp.
2. Add one cup of water to a large bowl, along with one cup of distilled white vinegar and a pinch of rock salt. Deposit the shrimp into the mixture and stir to combine
3. After 15 minutes, transfer shrimp to separate bowl and discard curing solution. Add the juice of five lemons to the shrimp and stir to combine
1. Procure the following ingredients:
a. Chiltepin (Wild red pepper native to Sinaloa)
b. Rock salt
c. Fresh oregano
d. Fresh squeezed lime juice
e. 2 cloves of garlic
2. In a mortar and pestle, crush the two cloves of garlic with a pinch of rock salt. After the garlic has been broken down, add pepper(s) and continue to crush until desired consistency has been reached.
3. Add the juice of two to three limes and fresh oregano. Combine until incorporated.
4. Garnish with cucumber, avocado, red onion or radish and a sprinkle of cilantro to the dish with the shrimp and lemon juice.
5. The dish is ready to be served on a tostada or with chips!