Caffeine Break - David Needham, Drupal 8 Configuration - Friday, February 21, 2020
From Dena Strong on 03/3/2020
David Needham of the Central Illinois Drupal User Group on Meetup is bringing us a presentation he’s going to be giving in March at MidCamp in Chicago:
You just finished building a feature that has taken months to get right. Your work in the development environment is approved and you're ready to take it to production.
Moving the code is easy since you’re using
Git, but what will you do about all of that configuration saved in the
database? You added content types, fields, and even views. Do you really want
to recreate your work again in the Live environment? And are you confident that
you won't make a mistake along the way?
In this session, we’re going to be learning the basics of Configuration Management and make the business case for getting started right away. Before we go, we'll highlight techniques for managing this workflow from the command line using Drush and demonstrate how to completely automate deployment with Continuous Integration.
At the end of this session, attendees will be able to:
- Apply comprehensive workflows to your everyday site building process.
- Pull configuration out of the database and into version control.
- Deploy configuration to Live in the UI and from the command line.
- Automate configuration imports in each of your environments.
- Bring it all together and improve your team development workflow.