ITRC March Seminar on Use of Connected Vehicle Data for Real Time Monitoring of Network Performance and Resiliency During Winter Storms 2021-03-12
From Marcia Lampela on 03/16/2021
…Read more Less…
Infrastructure Technology Resources Consortium (ITRC) Seminar Series on Resilience and Sustainability of Urban Transportation Infrastructure.
Seminar # 11 Use of Connected Vehicle Data for Real Time Monitoring of Network Performance and Resiliency During Winter Storms: The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) has an automated vehicle location system (AVL) deployed on over 1000 snow plows that provides real time position and dash cam video. INDOT also ingests approximately 11 billion connected vehicle records per month to provide crowd sourced data characterizing the travelling speed on over 28,000 miles of roadways. Integrating the connected vehicle and AVL data provides the agency with information to make real-time data-driven decisions regarding winter maintenance activities. This webinar will present case studies that demonstrate how INDOT is using connected vehicle data to monitor network performance and resiliency during winter storms.
Speaker: Darcy Bullock, Director, Joint Transportation Research Program, Purdue University
Host: Farhad Ansari, UIC Professor, Civil, Materials, and Environmental Engineering
- Correlating Hard-Braking Activity with Crash Occurrences: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42421-020-00024-x
- Big Data Applications for Managing Roadways: https://www.nxtbook.com/ygsreprints/ITE/ite-journal-february-2021/index.php#/p/28
- Crowdsourcing for Advancing Operations: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/federal-highway-administration_fhwaabredc-activity-6763849147742257152-U7q8
- Purdue University traffic research program cuts data analysis and batching from hours to minutes with BigQuery: https://cloud.google.com/customers/purduejtrp
- 2021/02/14 – 2021/02/16 Winter Storm: https://youtu.be/XV2_1Sfj_B8
- 2021/02/15 Winter Storm – Windrowing LaPorte District: https://youtu.be/8FO1ctpMKM0